Peat moss is found in bogs in places like Ireland, Canada and Russia. A bog - simply put is a wetland full of dead vegetation that has been forming over thousands of years. Bogs are extremely important ecosystems that are home to birds, insects, frogs, shrubs and even edible fruit. The plants that live on the bog absorb the CO2 emissions in the air. Once the plants have died the CO2 is stored within layers of the bog and that's how peat is made. When peat moss is harvested the trapped CO2 is then released back into the Earth’s atmosphere. The increasing demand for peat has put our bogs at risk.
PEAT IS A PROBLEM
THE SOLUTION TO A GREENER AND MORE ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY POTTING MIX
WHAT IS PEAT MOSS AND WHY IS IT BAD FOR THE ENVIRONMENT?
A SOLUTION TO HELPING THE ENVIRONMENT THROUGH OUR MUD
Coconut coir is a fantastic alternative to using peat moss. Coconut coir is extracted from the husk of a coconut shell and grounded up to make a very thin and light mixture. While most of us only pay attention to the delicious drink found in the coconut, a man named E.P hume in the 1940s was testing other alternatives to peat moss, he sent a sample of coconut coir to Kew gardens and they were able to successfully test this theory on rose cuttings. Luckily today with more people becoming environmentally conscious people are making the switch to coconut coir.
THE PERFECT POTTING MIX
Finding the right potting mix for your houseplants is overwhelming. While potting mixes vary they are made with two things in mind; drainage and retention. The perfect balance is mixing materials that help hold in moisture so your plants can get a good drink but also help to drain the water to avoid any excessively wet soil. The majority of soil is 60-70% peat moss or coconut coir which helps to hold in moisture and the other 30% is materials like perlite, pumice, lava rocks, wood chipping or bark to help drain the soil. They work together to make the perfectly balanced potting mix that your houseplants will love. We’re on a mission to encourage people to use a more eco-friendly potting mix made with coconut coir rather than peat moss.
WE PLANT 5 TREES FOR EVERY ORDER
Our goal is to plant 1 million trees by 2025 to help save our environment.